Wednesday, January 6, 2010

HOLES IN OUR SYSTEM

So there is one thing about this blog I make an effort to refrain from discussing; my personal life. This is supposed to be a blog based on my ideas from my experiences. However, the recent experience I have had cannot pull the personal life from my thoughts at all.

I rang in the New Year with a bit of a heartbreak, the death of my first grandparent. I could go on and on about her, but that is not what this blog entry is about. However, I must say something about her and I can tell you that this woman knew how to believe in something and knew how to make people feel like they were not above or below her if they didn't agree. That is a remarkable fete that made her well loved and appreciated by people from both up the street and in her heart.

Considering this is the first funeral I have ever been to where I sat in the first couple of pews reserved for family, needless to say a lot of thoughts went through my head. None of them as strong as watching my grandfather during the week I was in Little Rock. This man spent 63 years married to this woman. I have seen the face of what true heartbreak is and it isn't a relationship that falls apart after a year or two. True heartbreak is watching someone you love move on without you, and since I love my grandfather my heart was breaking for him. It breaks now as I type these words.

I figure that when someone passes no matter what our belief of life after death, we are left with holes in our system. It is like a little piece of us has been taken with them. I felt that yesterday while looking at a picture of the family that I had to leave 17 hours away. I feel that my grandmother is has left several holes in my system. I think those holes get filled in though, and the way i picture it in my head is like this: picture just the outline of a body with holes in it like cheese. Now fill in everything around the holes. I think those holes get filled in with light. In my head I see light just bursting through those holes.

Now I don't know what this light is, I'm sorry to say. Maybe it is memory, maybe it is an odd mixture of happiness and sadness (cause that is what I feel.) I don' t know but in my head i just see holes filled with light, but there is definitely a piece of us that is missing, that isn't part of us anymore; and yet it still is a huge part of us. I hope that makes sense.

I know this isn't scientifically correct, but I come from the impression that my family is a part of me. Inside of me is 50% of my mother and 50%my father. Of that percentage 25% of me is everyone of my grandparents. They are with me at all times. Take that however your thoughts allow it to take you, maybe it is in spirit, maybe in blood, or just in the genes I carry with me at all times, but inside of me they are there and they are alwys prevelent.

They exist in the way I do my crosswords, they exist in the expressions I make (or the curse words I say), or the way I pull up my pants when they get too saggy. They exist in the way I use my fork, in the way I love poached eggs rather then scrambled, in the way I drive my car, in the way I sing constantly. They are there and there is no way to get them out of my inner self. I am proud to have part of them in there. I am proud that that light in those holes are shining through. However, I do not like that someone has to pass for you to see how truly deep those holes are.

I understand that as time goes on the outlook for everyone looks similar, we get old and we pass. However, without the death part, the life part doesn't hold any meaning. I think we should all realize where we come from and get to know our family (both blood and non-blood) and just love them for who they are (faults and all) because if we don't then the holes left within us will just be holes and there will be no light to shine through. Maybe the light that shines through is that part of us that is them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely. When you love someone and they leave (either by distance or death), i think a piece of us goes with them and a piece of them stays with us. I am so sorry for your loss as well as it was mine. She touched so many lives and she will be missed.
~~Michelle